I am really excited about this latest release! It is a big deal and every single issue that I have reported or requested is fully addressed. It is my opinion that MMField 3.0 is the best all-around tool for collecting precision GIS data available. It is easy to train new and inexperienced users, easy to use in the field and produces the most accurate data.
I have already completed a four-video training suite for this updated product! You can link to the videos (on YouTube) from [ here: video link ] In the videos, I cover installation, setting up template jobs, collecting data in the field, exporting (using data) and post-processing. I am quite sure the videos will save you time, if not bore you to death.
Here is a link to the ftp site folder:
[ folder link ]
Here are direct links to the new User’s Manual:
it is worth the read!
There are a lot of files (841MB) and if you are not familiar with FTP downloads, you will have difficulty getting the whole file set. I have provided a single ZIPed file:
[ here: ZIPed File ] << Best link if you are inexperienced with FTP!
MobileMapper Field Changes
If you used MobileMapper Field and MobileMapper Office in the past, here are the new changes in Version 3 (MMO V4):
- Large virtual keyboard, click in an entry and use the full screen keyboard. (Small embedded keyboard still works too.)
- Single setting for English / Metric.
- Magnetic variation is taken into account for improved e-compass accuracy.
- Improved units management (single setting now).
- Crazy elevations in foot display fixed.
- Enhanced voice guidance (reporting distance and turn direction in MobileMapper Field “go to” mode; reporting one major distance and direction to move in “go to” mode instead of two distances and two directions.) Voice guidance is now available in French, German, and Russian languages besides English.
- AXF improvements (supported limits for attribute values, text attributes can now contain quotation characters, performance/refactoring.)
- MMO: Office program allows re-projecting results into another export job folder. So data collected in one projection, and optionally post-processed, can be exported to a new folder in another projection.
- MMO: Office program now allows exporting to .GPX files. (In addition to .KML and .CSV files.)
- MMO: Office program does not crash when post-processing files that crashed previous versions.
- MMO: Office program now imports ATOM files directly as reference RAW data.
- Improved “go to” mode for close navigation in MobileMapper Field
- ECW background map format support.
- RTK initialization in MobileMapper Field.
- Possibility to re-occupy and update existing point feature coordinates with GPS position in the field. (Points only, not polylines or polygons.)
- Records raw data to the job folder (the same folder where the .MAP file is located) in MobileMapper Field.
- GPS metadata (STATUS, Number of SV’s, PDOP, HRMS, VRMS) as feature attributes in MobileMapper Field. These values are filled in automatically when new features are stored.
- Vertical offset in MobileMapper Field. Allows storing inverts to features from measurement point.
- Attribute editing during feature logging in MobileMapper Field. You can now edit feature attributes while averaging is active.
- Low memory warning in MobileMapper Field. When you nearly fill up the destination storage location, a warning is shown.
- GPS status display during averaging in MobileMapper Field.
- Showing GPS status when PDOP filter is being applied.
- Stop logging confirmation in MobileMapper Field.
- GPX data file recording in MobileMapper Field. Checkbox is found under ‘Options: Recording.’ (When enabled, GPX data is stored to \My Documents\Ashtech\gpx.gpx.) Setting is persistent when MobileMapper Field is restarted.
- Possibility to stop averaging early in MobileMapper Field.
- Reduced application startup time when using OSM map (loading it in background.) Yeah!
- Displaying coordinates of a location that user tap on a map. When you tap on the display screen, the coordinates where you taped are shown.
- Position status voice information.
- Reference station ID display, when using real time corrections.
- Displaying current RAW data file path/name in “Options: Recording” screen. Makes it easier to associate the correct RAW file with collected data.
- RAW data file is now automatically placed in the project folder, making it easier to keep raw data files with a project.
- International feet support
- OK soft key on the logged point screen
- L2 SNR display.
- …and much, much more!
Again, watch the videos and read the manual, they will save you time.